Bangalore: A Law graduate who was working with Jayanth Pattenshetti Associates, on Infantry road, and filled a police complaint of sexual harassment against some lawyers, was found dead in her paying guest accommodation at Malleswaram, Bengaluru, as reported Times of India. While the exact cause of death is unknown as the post-mortem report is awaited. However, the police suspect that she might have consumed sleeping pills to end her life.

As per Bar and Bench, who was hailing from Andaman and Nicobar,  had previously interned with the firm in 2017, and joined the firm following her internship. She was assigned to work with an advocate named Chandra Naik, who introduced her to another advocate, Chetan Desai, a Government Pleader at the Karnataka High Court.

The Intern had filed a sexual harassment complaint with the Commercial Street police on November 20. The FIR, whose contents were seen and reported by ToI, stated, “Both of them used to take her to pubs and bars and force her to consume alcohol. They would then touch her inappropriately and sexually harass her.”

Vyalikaval police, who began probing the death, has already spoken to the PG owner, who it is to be believed had informed the police and had filed a complaint with the police station as she had doubts as to the cause of death and requested a thorough investigation.

So far the police have registered a case of death under Section 174 of the CrPC which deals with suspicious deaths. “As soon as she filed the case, we took action and registered the FIR without any delay. Meanwhile, the accused Chandra Nayak T and Chetan Desai sought bail from the court,” Rahal Kumar Shahapurwad, DCP (East) had informed TNIE. In the FIR filed by her, she had stated that the accused lawyers had also sent vulgar and threatening messages on her WhatsApp.  Police have found multiple evidenceo sexual harrasment on the phone of the victim, which she had sent her parents and friends as proof.

The News Minute also reported that a Bangalore-based lawyer – an acquaintance of the two lawyers accused of sexually harassment – had made repeated phone calls to the victim, persuading her not to approach the police. The audio clip, as shared by TNM, shows that attempts were made to get the victim to settle the matter and the caller had also threatened that if the victim proceeded with the case, she would never be allowed to practice in Bangalore.

Police investigating the case have told TheNewsMinuite that the autopsy report did not determine the cause of death and that the samples have been sent to the Forensic Science Lab. “Only once we know the cause of death will we know if it was a suicide or anything else. We have to wait for a few months for it,”


Featured image courtesy Bar and Bench.

Story to be updated

Sharing is caring!