Timeline of vandalization of Statues in India, March 2018
The last couple of days have seen a spat of vandalizations of statues around the Country. Till now, statues of Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov, Dr. Ambedkar, Gandhi, and Periyar have been targeted and damaged in the following events;
1) Alleged Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) activists tore down two statues of Russian Communist Revolutionary icon Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov (aka Lenin) in Belonia, and Sabroom, in Tripura, after BJP won the State elections in Tripura.
2) A statue of Dravidar Kazhagam founder and social reformer Periyar E.V. Ramasamy near a taluk office in Tiruppattur was vandalized on Tuesday (06/03/2018) evening. The vandalism followed BJP national secretary H. Raja’s post on Facebook, advocating the removal of Periyar’s statues.
3) On Wednesday (07/03/2018) morning, four unidentified persons hurled petrol bombs at the BJP office in Coimbatore.
4) A statue of B R Ambedkar was damaged by unidentified people in Uttar Pradesh’s Mawana on Tuesday (07/03/2018).
4) On Wednesday (07/03/2018) a statue of Sangh ideologue Syama Prasad Mookerjee was damaged in Kolkata. The Kolkata police arrested seven people for the alleged vandalism. Atleast 5 of the 7 are believed to be members of the Left Party.
5) Paint was thrown at the Ambedkar bust installed at Thiruvotriyur Periyar Nagar in Chennai on the night of 07/03/2018)
6) A statue of Mahatma Gandhi was vandalized by miscreants in Kerala’s Kannur on Thursday (08/03/2018).
7) On the 17th of March, the Jawaharlal Nehru’s statue defaced in West Bengal’s Burdwan.
[To be updated]